Tis the season for holiday gatherings, and as we enter this busy time of festive cheer, keep in mind a few holiday dangers for our pets.
This delectable ingredient contains high levels of fat, Theo bromine and methylxanthines. The darker the chocolate the more toxic to pets. Ingestion of chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea and, even more serious, seizures, heart arrhythmias and tremors.
Bones or meat trimmings:
Fat, whether trimmings from meat or fat in gravy, can cause gastrointestinal upset and could lead to pancreatitis. Bones of any sort should be avoided. They can lodge in your pets throat or could splinter and cause lacerations in their intestinal tract.
It is best to feed your pet their regular diet and caution visitors against feeding table food of any sort.
Consider unbreakable options when purchasing ornaments. Also stay away from shiny, dangling decorations which move with the slightest draft. This entices curious cats to play and possibly ingest. Candles with their flickering flame can also present a hazard to your pet.
Bows and ribbons:
Although it makes for a pretty package, it also invites your pet to chew and if swallowed could cause an intestinal blockage.
Taking these precautions can help ensure that you and your family have an enjoyable holiday season.
Merry Christmas from all of us at Vernon Veterinary Clinic!