Skip to main content

Thanksgiving dinner is not for our furry best friend

By October 4, 2017 Uncategorized


The irresistible feast that Thanksgiving brings is delicious,  but should not be shared by our furry friends Offering pets fatty leftovers or sweets from these dinners is a recipe for digestive upset or a more severe condition pancreatitis. Pancreatitis is the term for inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas produces enzymes for digestion and when it becomes irritated, serious illness can result. Signs to watch for include loss of appetite, dry heaves, vomiting and diarrhea. If you observe any of these symptoms consult your veterinarian.

Bones are another hazard to your pet and should never be offered.  These bones can splinter and become lodged in the throat or obstruct further into the digestive tract.

In addition your pet should never be fed raw poultry. Raw poultry or meat may have bacterial contamination, which could result in diarrhea with significant complications.

The staff at the Vernon Veterinary clinic wishes everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Eat well and stay healthy.

Leave a Reply